Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you can’t play outside! There’s a ton to do in and around Columbus – from skiing to sledding to skating. Bundle up, grab a few adventurous friends, and head outdoors!
1. The Front Lawn at the Ohio Statehouse. Glide across this temporary ice rink in downtown Columbus. Bring your own skates or rent a pair for $2. Admission is $7 for adults and $6 for students. Warm up with some hot chocolate after you’ve had your fill!
2. Battelle Darby Creek. This park is known for its massive sledding hill, so be sure to come equipped with your very own saucer or toboggan.
3. Nationwide Arena. Cheer on the Blue Jackets, Columbus’ very own NHL hockey team! Here’s a trick for scoring cheap seats: line up at the ticket window about two hours before home games. At this time, 200 seats at the top of the arena are released and are available for just $10 each.
4. Mad River Mountain or Boston Mills. You don’t have to hop a plane over to Colorado for great skiing. Check out these highly-rated resorts, each located a manageable driving distance from Columbus. Rent or bring your own skis or snowboard.
5. Rent a cottage or cabin for the weekend. Okay, so this isn’t exactly outdoors, but it’s still fun! After all that gallivanting out in the snow, the best part is returning to a warm, cozy house to share meal with friends and loved ones. Check out this site for weekend rentals so you can make lasting memories this season!