Before you travel out of town to visit family and friends for the holidays, don’t forget to take a few steps to care for your apartment and things while you’re away.
- Notify apartment manager/neighbors: To help keep an eye on your place, inform your community manager and neighbors how long you’ll be away from home.
- Have post office hold the mail: You can fill out an online form to instruct the postal service to put a hold on your mail until you return.
- Conserve energy: When you’re away for extended periods during the winter, setting your thermostat around 55 degrees will save heating costs while not allowing pipes to freeze in extreme cold.
- Care for your pets: If your pet isn’t spending the holidays with you, be sure to make appropriate arrangements for them with a family member, friend, or boarding service.
- Don’t broadcast absence: To avoid advertising that your apartment is uninhabited, it may be best to delay sharing holiday posts and photos until you return home. Try to limit your posts specifying your location during this time.
- Unplug appliances: Plugged-in electronic devices eat up power even when they’re turned off. Since you’re not going to be using them for a while, unplug appliances such as the TV, computer, coffeemaker and toaster oven.
- Clean up: To make your post-holiday return merrier, remember to take out the trash, water the plants, and clean your apartment before your departure. You’ll thank yourself upon your return.