You may have just found the apartment of your dreams. The floorplan is awesome, there’s plenty of space and the location seems perfect. But before you get swept away by the beauty of your potential home, remember to ask the right questions, so you know what your community is all about.
What Am I Paying For?
You should know exactly what your expenses are before signing your lease on the dotted line.
Here are some questions to consider:
- Is there an application fee?
- Is there a security deposit?
- Is the security deposit refundable, and if so, how do I get it back?
- What are my lease terms?
- How long is my lease?
- Are utilities included?
- If not, what utilities am I responsible for paying?
- What are the average costs for gas, water, electricity and trash?
- Are there any non-refundable move-in expenses?
- How do I pay my rent?
- Are there fees associated with late rental payments?
- Are there costs or fees I must pay when I move out?
- Is there a fee if I need to break my lease?
- Am I required to have renters’ insurance?
- Do you offer discounts for employees, students, educators, veterans, etc.?
What Amenities are Available?
These are the perks that sweeten daily living in a luxury apartment community. Don’t hesitate to ask about the extra benefits you’re entitled to as a resident.
- Is there a pool, fitness center, recreation room, etc.?
- What are the hours of operation and availability of the community amenities?
- Can guests use them?
- Are there additional charges for using the amenities?
- Are there seasonal amenities, and what are the timelines?
What’s Your Policy On…?
These questions are where you need to get down to the nitty-gritty. Be specific to ensure you understand your responsibilities as a resident.
- What are the rules regarding painting, decorating or modifying my apartment?
- How do I submit maintenance and repair requests?
- Will I be notified in advance before a community employee enters my apartment?
- Who do I contact for after-hours or emergency service?
- What is your pet policy? Are there additional charges for pets?
- What is your parking policy?
- Is there assigned or private parking?
- What is the policy on guests?
- Are residents allowed a certain number of guests?
- Do you have a policy for adding roommates or subleasing?
- What is the community’s smoking policy?
- What happens if my apartment is damaged through no fault of my own (fire, water, etc.)? Will I be provided an alternate accommodation?
- What are the lease renewal and cancellation policies? Is renewal automatic?
- Will I be notified in advance of my lease renewal or new rates?
- How are mail, packages and other deliveries handled?
- Who do I contact to file an issue or complaint?
- Is “normal wear” considered on my lease when moving out?
- What happens to my lease agreement if the community is renovated or sold?
We don’t expect you to remember all those questions, so we encourage you to print our list and bring it with you during your next apartment tour. And if you’re looking for a luxury apartment in Columbus that’s bursting with amenities, then contact Preferred Living to schedule a visit.